Missouri First Families Program
The Missouri State Genealogical Association takes pride in offering the Missouri First Families Certificate program to honor early Missouri families. Your work in proving your ancestor’s early years in Missouri will be preserved for future generations by the Missouri State Genealogical Association [MoSGA]. As MoSGA is a non-profit organization, our revenue comes from memberships and other fund-raising activities including Missouri First Families Certificate program.
Types of Certificates
- Ancestors proven to have resided in Missouri on or before statehood, 10 August 1821.
War of 1812: NEW Certificate category
- Ancestors who were War of 1812 veterans who lived, died and/or were buried in Missouri
- Ancestors in other military units who saw service in Missouri during the War of 1812
- Ancestors proven to have served in a Missouri military unit during the War of 1812
- Ancestors proven to have resided in Missouri at any time between and including 11 August 1821 and 31 December 1860.
Civil War Service:
- Ancestors proven to have served in a Missouri military unit during the Civil War
- Ancestors in other military units who saw service in Missouri during the Civil War
- Ancestors who were Civil War veterans and died and/or were buried in Missouri
As of December 28, 2023, over 620 applications have been approved.
- List of approved applications through December 29, 2023 Click Here
- For more information about "previously approved applications" Click Here
Your application and accompanying documentation will make a significant contribution to the record of our state’s heritage and your family’s participation in that heritage.
In order to comply with genealogical standards of evidence, we ask that all applications include a complete set of the supporting documentation for all generations from yourself to the ancestor you are honoring. Please send only photocopies of the documents. The application may be shared with other genealogists; however, information on living persons and those born within the past 100 years will be withheld.
The cost is $20 per application, per ancestor. Each certificate will have one ancestor's name. For multiple certificates, the fee is still $20 per ancestor, per certificate. This offers the opportunity for a specific ancestor to be recognized with their name on the certificate.
- Pay the $20 application fee by using credit card or PayPal. Click here for the link.
- Digital applications are to be sent as a SINGLE .pdf document.
- No applications are to be sent by Google Drive or other cloud-based programs.
Submitting application by postal mail:
- Do NOT mail application to MoSGA's PO box. This will slow the process down.
All applications and supporting documentation become the property of the Missouri State Genealogical Association. Applicants need not be members of MoSGA.
For complete instructions of the Application Process click here.
If you have questions please feel free to e-mail the MoSGA First Families chair for more information. The e-mail address is: email@example.com
If you have misplaced your original certificate, you may order a new one for $10. Click here.