Missouri First Families
The Missouri State Genealogical Association takes pride in offering the Missouri First Families program to honor early Missouri families. Your work in proving your ancestor’s early years in Missouri will be preserved for future generations by the Missouri State Genealogical Association [MoSGA].
Types of Certificates
- Territorial Certificates – Ancestors proven to have resided in Missouri on or before statehood, 10 August 1821.
- Pioneer Certificates – Ancestors proven to have resided in Missouri at any time between and including 11 August 1821 and 31 December 1860.
- Civil War Service Certificates – Ancestors proven to have served in a Missouri military unit during the Civil War; those ancestors in other military units who saw service in Missouri during the Civil War; and those ancestors who were Civil War veterans and died and/or were buried in Missouri.
Your application and accompanying documentation will make a significant contribution to the record of our state’s heritage and your family’s participation in that heritage.
In order to comply with genealogical standards of evidence, we ask that all applications include a complete set of the supporting documentation for all generations from yourself to the ancestor you are honoring. Please send only photocopies of the documents. The application may be shared with other genealogists; however, information on living persons and those born within the past 100 years will be withheld.
All applications and supporting documentation become the property of the Missouri State Genealogical Association. Applicants need not be members of MoSGA.
- Each postal mailed application must include a non-refundable fee of $20.00 U.S, check made out to MoSGA.
- Do NOT mail the application to MoSGA's PO box. This will slow the process down. Read the application instructions for where to mail.
- Each e-mailed application must indicate you have paid the fee electronically. Pay the $20 fee electronically by clicking here:
To access a printable copy of the Application Process and Complete Instructions click here.
If you have questions please feel free to e-mail the MoSGA First Families chair for more information. The e-mail address is: email@example.com