Missouri First Families
The Missouri State Genealogical Association takes pride in offering the Missouri First Families program to honor early Missouri families. Your work in proving your ancestor’s early years in Missouri will be preserved for future generations by the Missouri State Genealogical Association [MoSGA]. The cost is $20 per application per ancestor.
Types of Certificates
- Territorial Certificates – Ancestors proven to have resided in Missouri on or before statehood, 10 August 1821.
- Pioneer Certificates – Ancestors proven to have resided in Missouri at any time between and including 11 August 1821 and 31 December 1860.
- Civil War Service Certificates – Ancestors proven to have served in a Missouri military unit during the Civil War; those ancestors in other military units who saw service in Missouri during the Civil War; and those ancestors who were Civil War veterans and died and/or were buried in Missouri.
Your application and accompanying documentation will make a significant contribution to the record of our state’s heritage and your family’s participation in that heritage.
In order to comply with genealogical standards of evidence, we ask that all applications include a complete set of the supporting documentation for all generations from yourself to the ancestor you are honoring. Please send only photocopies of the documents. The application may be shared with other genealogists; however, information on living persons and those born within the past 100 years will be withheld.
All applications and supporting documentation become the property of the Missouri State Genealogical Association. Applicants need not be members of MoSGA.
- Each postal mailed application must include a non-refundable fee of $20.00 U.S, check made out to MoSGA.
- Do NOT mail application to MoSGA's PO box. This will slow the process down.
Mail application to:
Doug Fugate, MoSGA 1st Families Chair
130 Birchtree Circle
Saint Robert, MO 65584
E-mailed application must indicate you have paid the fee, either online or by check. Pay the $20 fee online by clicking here:
To access a printable copy of the Application Process and Complete Instructions click here.
- List of approved applications through September 1, 2020: Click here
- List of "MO Bicentennial" approved applications September 2, 2020 through June 24, 2021: Click here
If you have questions please feel free to e-mail the MoSGA First Families chair for more information. The e-mail address is: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have misplaced your original certificate, you may order a new one for $10. Click here.